Monday, February 12, 2007

Gnarles can't be your first name

The Dixie Chicks ended up being the big winner at The Grammys last night...5 Grammys. To tell you the truth, I had no idea they had a popular album out. They aren't bad...OK is more like it. I don't have a CD now, nothing last night made me want one.

The good...The Police getting back together was good, a simple but great performance of "Roxanne". I had heard of Mary J. Blige, but never listened much. She has a great voice. I am going to have to learn more about her. I even thought Lionel Ritchie was good (my mom would be proud).

The bad...Rascal Flats doing "Hotel California" was terrible. Some songs you should never try to do. The Red hot Chili Peppers were a group from a few years ago that used to be pretty good...they didn't look or sound that good last night. Some guy...Gnarles Barkley...I won't even go there, this space doesn't have the space.

The biggest surprise of the night came during a commercial. Prince bought an advertising spot and through it said thanks to all the folks who watched his halftime show at the Super Bowl. And it wasn't a "look at me America I'm famous and by the way I'd like to say thanks". It was very low key and the message was humble and seemed sincere. Sure, artists say thanks all the time...but it was a classy move to buy some time on TV and express thanks.

No comments: