Monday, February 19, 2007

By A Nose

I never watch NASCAR. I know a few things about it, but I am not a die hard fan. Watching cars (as fast as they are) going around a circle is not that entertaining on TV.

Watching live is a different creature. I like the I-30 Speedway. The smell, the sounds, the competition. It's all there.

I did happen upon the Daytona 500 yesterday with about 70 laps to go. I thought Mark Martin had retired and was surprised to see him in the top 10. So I continued to watch (after all it's the Super Bowl for NASCAR fans). I really thought Mark Martin had it all but won until, the last moment, a car from back in the pack beat him out in the last 200 yards by the nose of a car.

I don't know if I'll ever be a NASCAR fan, but I will forever be a Mark Martin fan. Solidified by his remarks after the race. My heart hurt for him. 20 something years and he's never won. He fought and tried so hard to achieve a goal but came up short again. He's not a loser, though. Just because he didn't reach his goal. He and his team had given themselves a real chance to attain the goal with all their hard work. A significant victory.

No comments: