Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The Rolls Of Our Models

No doubt there are many articles on Barry Bonds and his home run record. Mostly concerning the debate over whether he cheated or not. All the evidence seems to add up against, not only him, but alot of baseball players in the "steroid era".

What I can't help but think is that Barry Bonds, steroids or not, doesn't do himself any favors with his attitude. He loses in the sport of public perception. He seems to rub folks the wrong way and it hasn't taken long for folks (press and fans) to start rubbing back. Hank Aaron said himself that he doesn't think Bonds is a likable person. Who wants to be known as "unlikeable"?

I guess ultimately it doesn't matter what everyone else thinks. Goes along with the theory that as long as you make yourself happy who cares about the rest. I think Bonds has some of that thinking. Me personally...I like to live the opposite way. As I have concern for others it seems to make me happier.

The saddest part is that many kids look up to people like Bonds, or Michael Vick, or any number of professional athletes that just don't measure up to great role models. Many have parents who can show them the rights and wrongs...how to live a likable, honorable life. But so many of our children don't. That's why Bonds should be a little less abrasive. Line 1 of the qualifications of a hero should be "Not a Jerk".

So there...I figure he cheated. I have no doubt that if he used steroids it helped him. But the trump card for me is that he doesn't live up to Line 1. Thus a poster of Barry Bonds will be highly frowned upon in my boy's room. Plus...there are so many awesome Mets players to look up to.

No comments: