Sunday, March 25, 2007

Missing and Out of Action

I haven't posted in a week or so. Here's the story:

Got Dish Network folks to come and put a receiver in my bedroom, which I should have done 6 weeks earlier when I was spending a majority of my day in bed. Now that I am up and moving again, I get satellite...go figure. But anyways...after they installed it my DSL started to move very, very slow. I ran a speed test and it was slower than dial-up. The Mr-fix it in me figured they knocked some wires loose at the side of the house where the phone lines and TV lines are close. As much as I tried I could not fix it.

On to the never ending phone tree at the AT&T DSL help desk. After 10 or 15 minutes or so Jack answered the phone. Sure, Jack sounds like an all-American kid from the Mid-West, but, no, he was from somewhere of which I could barely understand a word. 10 minutes later he said my problem was fixed (I think) and I say thanks and hang up. By the way never hang up....it wasn't fixed. So I started over.

By the end of the whole ordeal the 3rd person I talked to figured out that the TV guys had plugged in the receiver's telephone line into the modem side of a filter. I unplugged it and it was like a miracle.

And to think it only took a little under a week to figure it out. I woke up this morning and the coffee pot will not make coffee. I may go a week without Internet, but coffee is a different matter. No help desk, no press 1 press 2 press 1 press 3 press 4, no fixing it at all. To much is at stake. Just a quick trip to the store, where the only Jack I hope to find is at the register.

No comments: