Sunday, September 16, 2007

Ahhh.... The Sounds of Fall

There are many things that mark the end or beginning of a season. Fall is a great example. You begin to hear school bells again. The sound of a huge football stadium filled with people...roaring because they just won the game on a last minute touchdown. The sound I associate fall, though, is almost as unpleasant. I sat on the deck yesterday morning and could hear it. Way on the other side of the neighborhood. A little hummmm in the distance that could only be a leaf blower.

From this week on, leaves will be my personal battle. Some years I win, some years they win. Last year I wasn't feeling well and had to hire a small army to come take care of my war for me. This year is different. Armed with a new mower with a bag on the back, ear plugs, a dust mask,alot of help from Michelle, and little luck we will be victorious without reinforcements.

And let me just say...it's not just a weekend or two picking up leaves...it's once a week for about 8 weeks. Between last week and this week, Michelle and I have already accumulated 17 bags worth. And I know the trees are laughing. I look up and they haven't even began to drop leaves in force. But little do they know...I haven't even begun to fight. Douglas MacArthur once said..."In war there is no substitute for victory".

No comments: