Sunday, March 4, 2007

Kickin' the Habit

Our sermon today was about an old habit of mine. No it's not drinking, drugs, picking my nose or anything like that. It's also not gambling, cussing, or anything like that.

This habit robs your happiness. No part of it is fun in any way. As we heard today, this habit brings about unnecessary anxiety and even strains our relationship with God.

This habit is a daily occurrence in many peoples lives, not just mine. When my wife drives to Memphis without me, the habit starts. When my children our out of my reach or sight, the habit starts. Most of the time my habit starts when I loose the ability to protect the ones I love. Other times it comes when I think about my back and surgery. I've known about my habit for along time and I'm happy to say that it is much more managed than, say, 10-15 years ago.

The habit... Worry.

Listening to Bro. Greg's sermon, it often begins with a thought in the back of your head. "What am I going to do if _______" What am I going to do if I wake up tomorrow and my back hurts again?...it seems easy to let my mind venture off into worry.

I'm kickin' the habit though. I've come a longs way, as I've said, but I want to conquer this. Greg actually used my favorite scripture (even though a favorite scripture is like a favorite ice cream...you can't have just one). I learned how important of a scripture it is in my life many years ago.

Deut 31:8. "The Lord Himself goes before you and will be with you, He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."


If you believe the Bible...at no point does it let you give in to worry. If I have God, what do I have to be worried about? That's why I have to kick the habit. Turn worry about my loved ones into confident concern. I know the Lord takes care of me...he's proved it many many times...I know He, if it's in his will, will take care of my loved ones too.

Don't take me wrong. I hope to never loose the concern for my loved one's well being. No where in a church have I been taught to not care. I guess in my mind...concern is manageable...worry changes your day.

The song has it right...Don't Worry...then you'll Be Happy. Can't have both.

No comments: